Sunday, September 15, 2013

Being a "single mom" sucks!

Ah the joys of single motherhood.  Well, sorta single. There are times in my day when I just say to myself (or the crying baby) "this is a time when it would sure help to have your dad here."  Usually it's because I'm in the middle of doing something with my toddler or cooking, or even trying to workout or shower. While I do enjoy some of the solitude I get....pshhh wait, solitude, HA what is that?!?!  Yeah, today (or was it yesterday, they all run together) I was in the middle of cleaning a poopy fanny and the baby decided she wanted to wail during the middle of the diaper change.  (We're still working on potty training, regression sucks, but hopefully with no new changes we should be getting somewhere!) Then there was the "lets see how many times mom can run up and down the steps while giving my older brother a bath and needing to stuff the binky in my mouth" bit. That was a fun cardio workout. At least I can say that I'm much better at climbing the stairs quickly with out feeling out of shape anymore. Man, those stairs were killer when I first got back to my house after giving birth and being with the family for a few months in a one story ranch style house. Anyway, there are just some times when "me time" would be awesome. I guess this right now is as good as it gets. My boy is in bed and the baby is sleeping until about 10 or 10:30 when she'll want fed again...or until she decides she wants to move from her current location. I have a hard time trying to figure out what to do at night. Part of me wants to do nothing and zone out while watching mind-numbing tv, while the other part says "get off your butt and workout." Then there's the "lets see what's on facebook and maybe I got an email" or "I should just go to bed, but then again I have a project I want to finish....sewing or bed....sewing or bed????"  Who knew what precious little time I would have to myself. Sadly I still need a shower and it's freaking hard to accomplish that this time of night because I never know if my baby will wake and cry. I do take lightening fast showers that way though. The other day I had no more than squirted shampoo in my hands then she started to cry. Needless to say that was the fastest shower ever and then there are some days when I'd LOVE to sit in the tub with some lavender bubble bath that I have, but I know it's a fat chance in hell that I'd be able to calm down enough to sit in there until I look like a prune. Oh well. I suppose I won't always be stuck in this spot. And let me tell you, when my husband has reclaimed his role as daddy...I'm taking a vacation!! Ok, well not literally, but I am planning on handing over some diaper duty and saying "deuces" as I go out the door in my spiffy running gear to get a good run in. There's a lot I think you take for granted when you have someone else to help raise two kids, but when you're on your own, man the simplest things can be a challenge. Today I was so happy that I actually got through walmart without any major issues (that is if you don't count the screaming toddler I had in the cart as I was in the parking lot trying to walk into Walmart). Well, the countdown continues as my single motherhood shall come to an end, but until then I better put my big girl panties on and be the best freaking mom I can be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment