Sunday, July 28, 2013

House sitting

This week I've been house sitting for my in-laws. And in doing so I've been there with my daughter and dogs. The two Britts are there at the in-laws because they would undoubtedly give my parents three tiny dogs a heart attack with their abundance of energy and relentless pursuit of playmates. I've enjoyed the solitude of this house since I'm the only adult and my little one takes some good naps, but I have to say I'll appreciate being back in my own home when I get back.  I love visiting with parents and spending time with everyone, but it can be cramped adding four beings to a house that already has two people and three dogs. I have had a lot happen this year so far and I'm looking forward to the end of the year (or rather the beginning of next year) when things will hopefully get back to normal.
I think seeing how we've all changed and adapted to fit this situation makes me appreciate the sacrifice that each of my families has had.  They've both been loving and supportive, but I'm sure they will both be happy to get things back to normal and let the poopy diapers be once again a thing of the past. I have a lot to keep me busy when I get home. Potty training is top of the list, followed by the removal of a binky, and hopefully getting a good nights sleep. Not to mention I will eventually have my baby in the nursery I've worked so hard to create and have yet to use. I think I'm mostly looking forward to having my back yard and deck again. I plan to buy some decent furniture...not of this folding camping chair business anymore. And a rug is a must after a 1 1/2 inch long splinter found it's way into my sons foot one day. I'll also need to invest in some water entertainment device and hopefully I'll get a good sale on something since it's the end of July already.
So far I've had several months "on my own." Though not entirely on my own as my family has helped tremendously, but on my own as far as a husband and father to my children is concerned. After seeing my husband for a brief two weeks, I realized how much a little boy needs his dad. My son is in his terrible twos and likes to throw fits, but has little outlet for rough and tumble play which he so enjoyed during those two weeks. I can only imagine the fun that will ensue when my husband returns. Being a daddy's girl I always loved being near him, but I never appreciated what need little boys have for their father. As I watched my husband play with our son I realized the play that is natural to a little boy is not natural to a mother. I don't get on the floor and rough house with him, I like to play with his toys and cuddle with him (when I'm lucky enough to get to do that). So, after watching the interaction for two weeks I realized how hard it must be for those children who must go without their other parent. I'm sure for them, at some ages they know no different and it matters not, but the inner workings of our mind and how we express ourselves or let out or energy is simply different. "Boys will be boys" is a saying I just came to understand and one in which I'm sure I'll appreciate throughout these years. I love watching my children grow and I love being a part of their lives, but I can see the need for a father and I will patiently wait for that day to come again. Skype, instant messaging, and email will only get you so far. There is no replacement for the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment